Some people may find it nearly impossible to make a change in their lives for various reasons. It is, however, possible to make a change that you want to make in your life – be it an eating habit, going back to school, or even starting to save money.
This process can help you to make any change in your life that you want to make and actually follow through with it so you can reap the benefits:
1. Examine your life before you do anything. Make a list of changes you would like to make in your life. Order the list from those that you want most to those that you want least. When you are finished, look at the list. Go down the list until you find the one thing you can change in a short period of time, and pick this one. Doing something you can accomplish in a short amount of time is a great way to start.
2. Set your goal. Your goal is what you wrote down on the paper and want to accomplish with the change that you selected. When you write out your goal, make a deadline also. Be realistic. You want to be able to accomplish this particular goal in 2-3 months at most. Set your deadline, and keep it.
3. It may seem dangerous, but before you take the time to look forward and start to achieve your goal, take a second to look back at what has stopped you before. What has kept you from attempting the goal thus far? Has it been a lack of resources, a lack of knowledge, or just plain and simple fear of change or fear that you couldn’t do it?
4. Now it is time to eliminate the reason you identified in Step #3. Usually, when you look back, you will be able to identify and often even eliminate the reason you had never made the change before. If the reason was fear, for example, ask why you were afraid and prepare yourself to face this fear. You have nothing to fear in a positive change in your life. If the reason was a little more material, gather what you need to eliminate this reason. If it was knowledge, do research and gain the knowledge you need. This will help you ready yourself for a big change. You will know when this step is finished by the feeling of excitement you have about your big change once you have eliminated your hesitation.
5. Look over your goal often to keep it fresh in your mind. At least once a day, reinforce your goal in your mind. Look back over what you wrote, including your deadline so you don’t forget it at all. This will keep you focused. Imagine yourself accomplishing your goal and push yourself every day to work toward it.
6. Make a plan. Any time you have a goal, big or small, you need to come into the process with a plan. Divide the goal into a series of small steps you need to make to accomplish it. The bigger the goal, the more it will take to accomplish it. When you make a list of smaller steps, you can easily accomplish at least one of them per day and watch yourself inching toward your goal.
7. Keep track of how you are doing as you work toward your goal. How much time do you have left? How much of the plan have you accomplished? Are you ahead of schedule, or do you have some catching up to do in order to accomplish your goal? Always keep track of how you are progressing toward your goal.
8. Step 8 is one of the most important steps. It is simple: do not quit. Don’t give up with your goal. Keep up with it. Don’t stop because you hit a road block somewhere. Solve the problem and keep going. Don’t get down about it. You will always hit problems when you want to make a change. You just have to keep going. You can’t fail if you keep going.
It’s not an easy thing to do to make a change in your life, but it is one that you will be proud of yourself for making if you can accomplish it. It will change your life and it will change you. Follow these steps for a goal that you have in your life and watch the changes take place. You can do it.